Release and Reclaim Online Support Group
Recovering from religious trauma can be difficult, but it doesn’t have to be lonely! You can get support from others who understand and who are also working to rebuild their lives.
Release and Reclaim is a private support group to help members release old, toxic beliefs and reclaim their lives. Recovery from Religious Trauma Syndrome (RTS) can include many different areas of life, and participants in the group are at a variety of stages. Group members are also varied, with backgrounds as Christian fundamentalists/evangelicals, Mormons, Jehovah’s Witnesses, Catholics, Muslims, and more.
This online group is confidential and is professionally led by Marlene Winell. We have a private group website as a base with 24 forum topics. We talk to each other on bimonthly video conference calls.
Among the areas of healing and growth are:
• Understanding clearly what you have been through regarding religious harm.
• Working through feelings of anxiety, depression, anger, grief, and confusion.
• Reclaiming your right to think and feel for yourself, and learning to trust yourself.
• Learning skills for self-love and self-care.
• “Coming out” to others and dealing with family and friends still “in the fold.”
• Overcoming irrational fears and ideas that persist from indoctrination.
• Addressing relationship and sexuality issues.
• Learning how to find new friends and community.
• Learning to appreciate pleasure and enjoy life here and now.
This is not just a discussion group or a place to rant about religion. We are devoted to healing and growth. Dr. Winell is actively involved and brings to the group over thirty years of experience as a group leader. In both the written and verbal conversations, she facilitates so that the group is a safe place to be open and honest.
As a group member you have access to:
• Profiles of other members and their stories of recovery from religion to inform and inspire you.
• Online discussions pertaining to all the topic areas above. You can join a thread or start a new one at any time.
• Current information about our upcoming events, such as Release and Reclaim retreats, and other events
• Exercises for healing and growth related to the topics we are discussing.
• Articles, podcasts, and videos of interest and humor
• Creative pages where you can view members’ work and post creative writing and art.
• Resources such as book reviews, and free downloads of books and articles, including Leaving the Fold.
• Conference Calls with 6-8 others and Dr. Winell. We discuss whatever is on your mind, and pay special attention to anyone who is in need of extra support.
Membership in the group is by invitation following an interview with Dr. Winell or staff member. This gives us both a chance to see if it is a good fit. A subscription is based on a sliding scale of $20-$40 per month.
If you are interested in joining, please make an appointment here to speak with us. This is a complimentary 20-minute chat for us to determine whether the group seems appropriate for your needs. If you would like to talk on Skype so we can have a video connection (recommended), please include your Skype name.